Thursday, March 26, 2009

#7 (From Facebook's 25 Random Things)

#7 I had the same roommate all four years of college. (and we're still friends)
Stacey Norris Hight is my friend. She always will be. We didn't really start off as best friends. We met in high school, had yearbook staff together and became friends. When we, and all of our friends were talking about what college we wanted to go to, we both said MS College. After some thought, we decided to be roommates. I don't ever remember thinking about the fact that we didn't know each other all that well. We just got along great and seemed to naive to know any better. We went to college with boyfriends, quilts for our beds, and worried moms. It was a blast. We soon became inseparable. We did everything together, except classes. She was too smart for me! I rarely remember eating a meal at college without Stacey. She was there for me through about 100 boyfriends, failed tests, the death of my grandmother, sickness, lonely times, etc. We cried together, laughed together, made messes together, but never really fought. We always tried to wait the other one out to take the trash out. We could get it pretty high in the corner. I still do that today!
The summer that she went to Korea for summer missions was a long summer! I missed her terribly. Over the years in college we got closer and closer. Our summer before our senior year we had summer school classes together, we worked together and we spend the night at each others houses every night. I'm sure our parents were sick of us but we had a great time. It was a shocker to both of us when the summer ended and Philip came back from being in Bangladesh. You mean, we have to share our time????
Stacey was there for me the night I got engaged, in fact, she knew before me. She was very instrumental in Philip and I getting together in the first place. She helped me plan my wedding down to the last detail. After I got married we really didn't know how to be friends any more. We have talked about this alot so this is no shock to her. We grew apart some over the next few years but stayed in touch. Now that we are "all grown up" we are still friends. We don't get to spend as much time together as we want to and/or should but we know that we are there for the other one.

I have never had to pretend with Stacey. I can be myself with her. She takes me like I am. Good or bad...I feel the same way about her. She never has to pretend with me. She is always herself and can say whatever she wants to and know that I will still be her friend.

I hope she knows how much I admire her and think she's great. Thanks, Stacey for putting up with me for 4 years! You are a true friend. Love ya!

3 comments:

MomOfThree said...

I can still remember thinking, "Who IS this girl and why am I at MC?" Looking back, best decisions EVER! I am so thankful I have a second sister.

Lori is my rock.

And...I don't take out the garbage either. It drives my husband crazy but I can build towers of trash that are breathtaking.

Unknown said...

It is so fun to read back over all those thoughts of a precious friendship. It was kinda strange how the two of you paired up and went to MC and Val and I went to Belhaven - it was like we swapped best friends and then made new best friends. And somehow we have all remained "heart friends". Our lives keep us busy with responsibities of home and family but I will always thank the Lord for and treasure your special friendships! I love ya'll! Phil. 1:3

Mamaw & Papaw said...

WOW! What a friendship! I always thought it was pretty amazing too. I hardly knew Stacy and you spent four years at college together and wound up as best friends. That is remarkable, to say the least. Love you Lori and love you Stacy!