Friday, March 6, 2009

# 2 (From Facebook's 25 Random Things)

# 2: I love to watch my kids play soccer

Since all three of the kids play soccer I feel like I always have a game to watch. Brice started playing when he was 4 or 5. We lived in Hattiesburg, MS at the time. He was always so serious about playing. He is very fast and has pretty good foot skills. He played on the recreation teams until 4th grade when he was asked to play for a select (traveling) team. He was able to play an age level up too. He played with that team for 3 years. When he was in 7th grade he tried out for his own age level and made the team. He played with them for 2 years. This year he played for school on the Jr. Varsity and he will try out for the Varsity in May. He has played recreation soccer this year. It has been a major struggle. He hates it. He is guest playing for a select team this weekend in Birmingham. I wish I could go but just couldn't get away.


Shelby played soccer for the first time when she was 4. We lived in Columbia, SC at the time. She was on a coed team. She showed up one day and was the only girl. She didn't want anything to do with that so she didn't play again for that team. She started playing again 2 years ago. She really likes to play in the goal. It makes me so nervous but she really enjoys that position. Maybe it's because she doesn't have to run as much. I was thinking that she takes after her dad with the goalie part but maybe she takes after me more with not wanting to run.
Eli played soccer when he was 4 also. He played the first season and sorta liked it but the next season he was counting the days until he didn't have to play any more. He sat out a year and then decided he wanted to try again. He has really done well this year. Because he has a late birthday and the cut off date is in July, he has to play with others that are a year younger than him. He dominates the field. His coach says that he has never seen someone his age that can do some of the things he does. I guess it's all those years of watching Brice and Shelby....
I do love to watch them play, though. They are all talented and as we say in our house..."Talent on loan from God". They all are Godly examples on the field. Their teammates look up to them and they have very good attitudes.

Well, even with Brice being gone this weekend we still have 2 games Saturday. Off to watch another game....

No comments: