Growing up we always had small, inside dogs. You know the type that love on you when you come home, the type that will sit in your lap and cuddle with you.

This is my dog, Sugar. I picked her out. She was a rat terrier. She was so sweet. She lived until she was 14. She always loved me and I loved her. The pictures above are of her when we first got her. My mom took me to pick her out. There were multiple cages of puppies. I remember sticking my hand into one cage and Sugar came right to me and licked my hand. I knew I wanted her right away. She ended up sleeping with my brother every night but I loved having her around.
Sugar protected me, went on walks with me, helped me out of the woods once, took naps with me, and loved me.

When we were talking about getting a dog several years ago the first thought I had was a small, inside dog. Well, Philip had other thoughts. He said, "If we are going to have a dog, it's going to be a big dog." He didn't necessarily say it had to be an outside dog but it had to be big. We looked at the Animal Rescue League several times but just didn't feel good about any of them. Then right before Thanksgiving, 4 years ago, we found Bear.
He belonged to a friend of a friend who was moving and they couldn't take Bear with them. He was house broken and everything. Well, he stayed in the house for about a week and then he went outside, never to return to the comforts of the house. Philip couldn't stand the dog hair all over the house. He is a wonderful dog. He never barks unless someone scares him or he hears an animal at night. He loves on us so much. He really thinks he can sit in your lap. He will try if you are sitting on the ground. He loves to play with the kids and has even endured Eli trying to ride him like a horse.
We really are glad that we have Bear but it's just not the same as that sweet, small, inside dog. The kids and I have tried to talk Philip into it but he won't budge. Oh well... move on....
No comments:
Post a Comment