Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fifth's Disease



If you've never seen fifth's disease, here is a picture. Eli came home on Monday from school and said that the nurse told him that he had fifth's disease. I knew Brice has had it before, no big deal! Well, Eli woke up on Tuesday and it was so bad his face was swollen. He has been itching pretty bad too. I let him stay home on Tuesday and told him yesterday that if he itched too bad at school to call me and I could come get him. I should have known better than that. Of course, I had been at work about 30 minutes and I got a call from the school. I did it, I gave him an out. Needless to say, I told him he had to stay at school today. I did send a note to his teacher though. I know he itches but I think he can stay at school. Once you get the rash you are no longer contagious. It is spread just like a cold virus and it can last for up to two weeks. He has gotten up the last two nights and asked for some Benadryl to help with the itching. Hopefully it will disappear soon. Fifth's disease is also called "slapped cheek". It does look like someone slapped him.

1 comment:

Mamaw & Papaw said...

I am so sorry Eli is sick. He looks like he doesn't feel good. Get better real soon, Eli!